ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER
Shea butter is an off-white or ivory-coloured fat extracted from the nut of the African Shea tree (Vitellaria paradoxa).
Shea butter is a triglyceride (fat) derived mainly from stearic acid and oleic acid. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion.
Shea butter is rich in a variety of antioxidants, including vitamin E, triterpenoids and polyphenols that help protect skin against sun damage and premature aging (1-3).
- Shea Butter can penetrate deep into the skin layers, leaving skin feeling soft, smooth and supple.
- Shea Butter re-hydrates dry, chapped skin and diminishes the appearance of fine lines around your eyes, mouth and forehead.
- Shea Butter contains linoleic acid (5), the essential n-6 fatty acid found naturally in the skin barrier (6).
- Linoleic acid is the natural precursor for ceramide, a bioactive lipid that plays a role in maintaining skin barrier to protect against water loss (6).
- Shea butter contains up to 60% oleic acid, an omega-9 fatty acid found naturally in the skin layer with antibacterial activity.
- Oleic acid can increase the antimicrobial peptide beta-defensin-2, which can kill acne-causing bacteria (9).
- Shea Butter is non-comedogenic and does not clog pores.